Liberal Democrats are building a stronger economy and fairer society so that there is opportunity for all to get on in life. We've spent the last 5 years working towards that in Government and we aim to go further in the next five years.
If we are in Coalition after the General Election we will:
- Balance the budget fairly by 2017/18. We will cut £50 billion less than the Conservatives and borrow £70 billion less than Labour. Over the past 5 years, Lib Dems in the Coalition have provided the stable Government that was needed to put the economy back into recovery after the disastrous mess left by Labour. With a record number of people now in work, inflation at 0%, living standards rising and the deficit falling, Lib Dems want to make the UK into the powerhouse of Europe, building a high-skill, low carbon economy.
- Guarantee education funding from nursery to college and ensure only qualified teachers in every class. We've already ensured an extra £2.5 billion for children with the greatest needs to ensure they don't fall behind at school. We will increase education funding over the next 5 years by another £2.5 billion.
- Cut your taxes by an additional £400 by raising the Personal Allowance to £12,500. The last Labour Government taxed people on low income earners once they started earning above just £6500. Thanks to Lib Dems in Government (and only the Lib Dems as the Tories opposed our plans at the last election) people can now earn £10,600 tax free, a tax cut of £825, nearly £16 a week, for people on low and middle incomes. In the next Parliament, we will raise tax free amount further so that someone on the minimum wage in full time work will pay no income tax.
- Invest £8bn more to improve our NHS and guarantee equal care for mental health. We've protected the health budget in the last Parliament. In the new one, we will increase it to address the growing demand for health care.
- Protect nature and fight climate change with new green laws to make the UK a world leader in protecting the environment. These laws will go hand in hand with our plans to continue rebuilding the Economy. In Government we have already doubled the amount of renewable energy generated and have created the Green Investment Bank.
"After the financial disaster brought about by Labour, the Liberal Democrats formed a coalition to sort out the economy and ensure Britain had a stable Government for the next five years," said Tom Holder, Liberal Democrat Parliamentary Candidate for Greenwich and Woolwich.
"The reality is there will be a hung parliament after May 7th, so it is up to the voters to decide who will form the next coalition. The Liberal Democrats have a strong record of delivery in Government, we stand for a stronger economy, while protecting the most vulnerable in society. It is important we don't let British politics lurch left or right, destroying all the British people have fought for over the last five years".
"We want to provide a Stronger Economy and a Fairer Society that provides an Opportunity for All. We cannot trust either Labour or the Conservatives to do that on their own".