We are launching a campaign against Cruise Ships mooring in Greenwich, together with our friends from Tower Hamlets.
The event will kick off with a photo and small protest outside The World mega-ship which is currently moored in Greenwich. Please come along for 7pm and bring some friends to protest.
We will then launch an online petition using London central resources.
- The London Ultra Low Emission Zone will be extended east to Woolwich in 2021, but the river is not included.
- The Enderby Wharf cruise terminal is finally over with new owner Criterion Capital confirming they will not build the Wharf.
- However, cruise ships continue to come to Greenwich with 51 in total planned in 2019. A further 81 will come up to Tower Bridge.
- Recent research has found that one cruise ship can emit as much particulate matter as one million cars. Even while stationary, a cruise ship burns at least 700 litres of diesel per hour, the equivalent of 688 HGVs.
- Air quality in London is now at crisis levels. A recent survey for The Times of 106 schools in Greenwich Borough, and 120 in Tower Hamlets found that particulate matter is above WHO safe levels in all cases.
Cutty Sark Gardens
Greenwich, England SE10 9HT
Google map and directions