Ukraine Refugee Crisis
The Greenwich Libdems strongly condemn Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and express our solidarity with the people of Ukraine.
Ukrainians have been let down by the UK government in their hour of need. Priti Patel is presiding over a chaotic shambles – and the result is that Ukrainians who we should be supporting are being turned away simply because they don’t have the right paperwork.
Even the government’s latest scheme will still leave refugees having to jump through bureaucratic hoops before coming to the UK.
We must now stand with the people of Ukraine. We believe that everyone deserves a safe place to live and we should therefore be welcoming refugees into our community.
You can offer a room in your home through the “Homes for Ukraine” scheme which has just been launched by the Government. UK individuals, charities, community groups and businesses can now record their interest in supporting Ukrainians fleeing the war through the government’s new scheme. Go to: Homes for Ukraine webpage to register your interest.
Greenwich Council has also created a special inbox for Royal Greenwich residents of Ukrainian heritage to get in touch for support: In Solidarity Ukraine.
If you would like to help people in Ukraine, here are some of the recognised organisations that you could donate to:
- MSF UK have deployed medical teams in neighbouring Poland, Moldova, Hungary, Romania and Slovakia, in order to help refugees fleeing the war. They are also providing emergency medical kits in Mariupol and Eastern Ukraine.
- UNHCR (United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees) Refugee Agency emergency appeal has been set up to help ensure that Ukrainians forced to flee their homes are sheltered and safe
- Ukraine Humanitarian Fund UN Crisis Relief is collecting monetary donations for humanitarian assistance, emergency shelter and relief items like blankets. It will also fund psychological support for refugees
- Red Cross Ukraine Crisis Appeal is supporting the work of the Ukrainian Red Cross by funding food, water, first aid, medicines, warm clothes, and shelter
- With Ukraine is a special fund to provide humanitarian assistance to Ukraine’s civilian population established by the Embassy of Ukraine in the UK
- Lewisham Refugee and Migrant Network have started working with the Lewisham Polish Centre to provide donations for Ukrainians living in southeast London.
Syrian Refugee Crisis
It is also important to not forget refugees fleeing other conflicts. We also support:
- The Greenwich Sanctuary Project, which is an ongoing project that helps Syrian Refugees.
- CalAid, a volunteer organisation that helps refugees stuck in Calais.
Volunteer Donation Drives
CalAid - volunteer organisation collecting donations and driving them to Calais
Calais Refugee Support - SE London based volunteers driving donations to Calais
Refugee Action - London based charity helping people who’ve survived some of the world’s worst regimes to find the basic support they need
'Accept more asylum seekers and increase support for refugee migrants in the UK' - over 400k signatures at tim of writing, may no longer be needed, but maybe still worth signing.
'Refugees Welcome in the Royal Borough of Greenwich' - Private petition started by Peter Noble, calling on RBG to house 50 refugee families (seen via @gabbywain)
Local Facebook Groups
Royal Borough of Greenwich - Refugees Welcome - local people swopping ideas and information in aid of refugees
Know of more voluntary action, petitions, marches or anything related? Let us know in the comments!